Student Program 2011
The Barrie Construction Association Proudly Launches
Simcoe County Hight School Co-op Program
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program
Many local employers are now looking to the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program as a source of good, hard-working and motivated employees.
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a post-secondary education opportunity in the skilled trades. A master tradesperson teaches a trainee "on-the-job". The employer follows the training standards provided by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) to ensure that an apprentice becomes skilled in the trade. 90% of the apprenticeship training is done in the workplace. All regular apprentices also attend "in-school" sessions, usually offered at Community Colleges or union training centres. The MTCU pays the tuition while the apprentice pays a minimal classroom fee to attend these "trade school" sessions. Once both the "in-school" and "on-the-job" hours have been completed and the competencies signed off, the apprentice receives the Certificate of Apprenticeship. The apprentice must then pass an examination in order to receive the Certificate of Qualification (license). The "C. of Q." and journeyperson status is widely recognized and accepted.
For more information:
Apprenticeship & Special Projects
Gloria Evans at Georgian College 705-728-1968 ext 5102
Benefits for the employer include:
- Provides and excellent source of young, enthusiastic and skilled apprentices with strong support system to ensure success.
- Allows the employer to take a student/potential employee on a TRIAL basis before commitment to register an apprentice.
- Develops supervisory skills in journeyperson employees.
- Promotes positive attitudes toward the organization and career education.
- Helps build a skilled workforce by increasing student awareness of the company within the community.
- Promotes awareness of job opportunities while helping reduce youth unemployment.
- Employer has the option to continue or stop the apprenticeship training at the end of the co-op placement. Can terminate the arrangement at any time if problems arise from student behaviour or work habits.
- Employer may qualify for financial incentives or tax credits: a wage subsidy through Job Connect when employing OYAP graduates and summer students OR tax credits.
2011 High School Co-op
We have recognized the shortage of qualified & skilled trade’s people and must become involved for our industry to continue and prosper. Skilled trades in our industry offer a solid career path.
-The BCA is currently working with the Simcoe County District School Board, Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board and the Bradford District High School. Highlights of this program include: student's arrange their own transportation to and from job sites, students will work at least 40 hours per week, students will follow your weekly work schedule, WSIB is covered by the Board of Education if the student is not receiving wages and this program qualifies for government assistance grants for the company if they hire an apprentice.
SCDSB OYAP Coordinator 705-734-6363 ext 11342
SMCDSB OYAP Coordinator 705-722-3555 ext 281
Mr. Sweeny at Bradford District High School at 905-775-2262 ext 504
Through our membership we hope to participate in this program by offering:
- Student co-op placement
- Program recommendations
- Specific trade requirements & training
- Vast knowledge base from each trade group
- Scholarship funds
For more information contact the BCA: (705) 726-5864
Barrie Construction Association Scholarship Award
- To attract young motivated people into the construction industry.
- To promote construction "TRADES" as a solid career path.
- To put back into our community through our YOUTH!
The Barrie Construction Association (BCA) Scholarship Award...
...is available to any student entering a post secondary institution or construction trade apprenticeship. This scholarship will be presented to a student who has demonstrated a combination of academic and trade merit and has a financial need.
Applicant must be a resident of Simcoe County and a Canadian Citizen.
Congratulations to our 2009
- Travis Thatcher